Friday, December 02, 2005

What Do You Want?


I have been asked this question thousands of times in my life. I've answered it thousands of ways, mostly in reference to a drive-thru menu. But when Jesus asked people "What do you want?", I think He was asking the deepest part of their heart and none of them were recorded answering in the petty, short-sighted ways I have been known to do.

When I pondered the question with my mind set on a real answer, I walked past some pretty small requests and landed on a few larger ones.

RELATIONSHIP
God Spouse Children Family Friends People at Large

CREATIVE EXPRESSION
Writing Conversation Photos Cooking Gardening Home Environment

REST
Art Hiking Reading Napping Scenery Music Praise
Gratitude Appreciation Singing

What I really like is when these three things can be present all at once.

TRANSCENDENCE

Watching the sun rise. Again.
Laying down with (my) spouse, talking, laughing, sex
Hiking on a mountain trail, aware of the presence of God
Framing a recent photo
Talking long distance with a friend I haven't seen forever
Sitting on the beach, feeling seduced by the power and elegance of the waves
Eating a wonderful dinner with my kids
Laughing until my tummy hurts
Expressing words that bring comfort and healing to my friend
Hearing words from my friend that bring comfort and healing to my heart
Walking in the park and hearing God say, "I love you"
Watching kids you love, or don't even know, discover something new

I would love to live in this state of transcendence every moment.
I'm catching on to the idea this will never be possible here on earth.
But seeing these glimpses of beauty and understanding them as blessings encourages me to walk with more freedom and hope.

What do you want?
You should make your list today.
Life is lived well in the small moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home