Friday, January 06, 2006

Doorbell Ditch With A Twist



Remember the prank DOORBELL DITCH?

It's where someone rings your doorbell and runs away before you answer. Sometimes they would leave an unpleasant offering depending on how nasty a neighbor you had been. The juvenile delinquent in me could tell you some stories that I've "heard" about this.

Anyway, this has been happening to us. On Christmas. Only we must be on the nice list.

For the past 2 years someone knocks on our door (we don't have a doorbell). They knock with purpose. Our first thought is usually "What are the cops doing here?" Really, sounds like the DEA. It's late in the evening, it's Christmas, plus not too many unscheduled visitors come to our house these days, so we are usually in shock for about 10 seconds. This is followed by a weak "who is it?"

When I look through the peephole no one is there, of course. So I run around to the kitchen window because you can see the front door from there. No one. But there's a gift. I guess a year is a long time because we met this year's event with as much surprise as last year.

Last year's gift was candies, 2 chocolate-covered strawberries, and cash. There was a note that said the money was for our trip.

This year there was a Starbuck's gift card, even more cash, and our absolute favorite Christmas movie, Christmas Vacation, on DVD.

This is definitely someone who knows us. This is definitely someone who loves us. We are talking a substantial amount of cash this year. This is a generous Santa. We opened the gift and laughed and smiled and laughed some more and tried to guess who it could be. It is a very exhilarating experience.

This sort of random loving does so much in my heart. First, it lets me know that God is alive and working in the hearts of His people. Mine, my secret Santa, my son, all of His children. No one can massage generosity in someone's heart like God can.

Second, it brings healing. Last year my husband of 23 years decided he wanted to be divorced. My son and I have been looking for new traditions for our new lives, especially around the holidays, but having a single income leaves us on a limited budget. We decided to make a getaway plan and take an annual road trip. Last year's money was earmarked by Santa for that purpose and we put it to good use. We planned a bigger trip this year (we're getting more brave) and Santa matched the effort. The money was put to very good use and couldn't have come at a better time.

Third, it brings deep feelings of community and love. When we start to try and guess who our Doorbell Ditching Santa could be, we have a list of likelys. It's humbling and encouraging at the same time because there is more than one name on the list. We think we know who it is, but the idea that someone would share with us in this way is truly and deeply moving. Someone is sharing with us the blessings they have received. Taking what is their blessing and stretching it big enough to include us. It blows my mind. When you think of the people you know, how we all struggle, how we all think we need this and that and more on top, and how it is one of those precious people who is taking a piece of their pie and putting it on my doorstep. I'm filled with love and peace and the assurance that God is truly looking out for me in ways that I can't even imagine.

Thank you, Doorbell Ditching Santa. Thanks for the smile that lasted for over an hour and then made me chuckle for days after. Thanks for the extra cash that took the edge off the price of gas for my road trip with my son. Thanks for the Starbie's card.....you know I love Starbie's. Thanks for the movie. It's a Speer Family cult film and we had been thinking we should buy it on DVD since our VHS copy was wearing thin from over use. Thanks for loving God and being in the Kingdom. You bless me. I am grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home