Sunday, May 03, 2009

The Barista Didn't Hear Decaf

I don't think the barista heard me say DECAF. I gave up caffiene about 18 months ago. I'll occasionally drink a diet Coke, but only occasionally.

Well, today I stopped by Starbuck's on my way to the grocery store. My reward for having to endure WinCo on a Sunday afternoon. Venti, decaf, 2 pump classic, non-fat latte. I order a venti since it's decaf.

It's hard to steer a shopping cart and drink a coffee. NOTE TO SELF: stay at Starbuck's and enjoy the $4 coffee next time. It's hard enough to steer a shopping cart in the aisles of WinCo on Sunday with both hands involved.

Well apparently I didn't notice that the milk carton I selected was leaking like a sieve when I put it in my cart. I apparently didn't notice that it was leaking all over the store as I swerved in and out of old lady traffic in the aisles, with one hand. I sure had a lot of energy, though. And I was looking really cute because I was wearing the new scarf my friend knitted for me.

I got to the check out, waited in line, causing unseen puddles of milk, making tracks with my tennis shoes. When I was through to the other side bagging my groceries, the clerk notices the milk trail. I, however, was secretly surging energy and bagging my groceries with lightening speed. The milk is forming a substantial puddle under my cart.

Overhead speakers are used, emergency paper toweling is deployed, my scarf is making me sweat like a you-know-what, the lady next to me is giving me disapproving looks and probably thinking I'm not all that cute in my scarf. I don't really think the caffeine caused the milk leak, it just didn't help my process of events.

I called my friend on the way home to tell the story. It's a 30 second story and I told it in about 3.5 seconds. Speed talking/rambling is a known side effect of my caffiene use.

It didn't occur to me that the barista didn't hear decaf until I was standing in Target 2 hours later dying to talk on my phone. I had already left messages with my sister and 3 friends and had just talked to another. There was no one left.

I should have driven back to Starbuck's and spent the afternoon with the barista.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Um...you didn't call ME. But I'm not hurt...sniff sniff.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home