Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Beautiful Mamo

This is my grandmother (I'm on the left). She just turned 91. Her name is Virgie, but I call her Mamo.

I have a lifetime of stories to tell about her love for me. She bought me new shoes every summer. She cooked my favorite dinners. She let me drop pancake batter onto the hot griddle. She let me dig through her purse during church. She sent me a letter with a $1 bill in it that magically arrived every Saturday in the mail.....for YEARS. She threatened me with a fly swater when I deserved it (but never quite made good on it). She taught me to make mashed potatoes.

Even though I'm an adult now, and she's turning quite frail, she continues to love me in the way only Mamo can. She worries about my housing situation and marital status. She buys me AAA roadside assistance every year for Christmas. She gave me the pancake batter bowl we used together. She has the softest skin of anyone on earth and she still holds my hand.

I thank God He provided me such a love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

SO sweet. I think you look like her. My grandmother had beautiful skin, too. I love that she sent you a letter EVERY WEEK! Wow!!

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home