Sunday, October 11, 2009

Happy Anniversary???

Today is my 28th wedding anniversary. Or was. Does it still count if you aren't actually married anymore? And the groom has started to tick away years with a new bride? Probably not. I won't be expecting a gift.

I made it legally through 23 years. Which is a really long time, and I'd like some credit for having made it that far considering who I was married to. I don't want to count the "anniversary" of the d-i-v-o-r-c-e (I spell it when I don't want myself to know what I'm talking about). Don't get me wrong, my divorce was coming at me like a tsunami. It was sort of like getting in a barrel 100 feet upstream from a waterfall. We were WAY TOO young (we met when I was 14). We were emotionally stunted and immature. We were completely clueless what do to about it all. 23 years was quite an achievement, to be sure.

I'm adjusting well to being divorced. I finished raising my children. I'm doing well at my job. I'm living alone for the first time in my life. I'm enrolled in college to get the degree I've always wanted. I just can't talk myself into forgetting the good times. We had some really good times. We were funny together. We were adventurous and daring. We were young and limber. We had spunk and spirit. We were best friends for 27 years. I truly love this person.

So even though my groom called the game, I'm going to celebrate the good times today. I'm going to remember the special moments and be grateful for my children and enjoy the peace and quiet that comes from no longer having your life head toward a waterfall.

1 Comments:

Blogger Momma Sunshine said...

That's the thing about relationships....there are always good memories to accompany the bad ones. It's good to remember the good that was there.

*hugs*

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home