Monday, September 14, 2009

The Helm


This is where the captain sits. Not the admiral, mind you. There are bosses to contend with. But here's where the action is.

Decisions are made. Angry calls are calmed. Questions answered. Souls soothed. And agitated. Boundaries are set. And flooded. Authority challenged. Often upheld.

It often feels like a jail cell. Yet it allows me to provide food, shelter, and often extras for myself and child. I loved being off work, but I would hate to be out of work.

Plus they give me a window. And that's not nuthin'. They didn't give me one that opens, though. That's probably good because sometimes I'd be tempted to jump.
Bad idea from only the third floor, I'm sure. There's probably other good reasons not to jump, too.
All in all.....the days go by smoothly.
I would love to redirect my career to be in line with who I am deep in my heart. This would require much education and lots of time. But as I while away these days in my cubicle, I could also be working toward another dream.
It occurs to me I could actually be the one who makes the decisions in my own life. Funny how time and other choices muddle that fact. I could really sit at the helm of my own ship and steer it toward my dream.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Amen sister...about the decisions thing. NOT the jumping thing. Even though it's not your favorite place to be, it still looks neat and tidy and inviting. Your window is very nice...sunshine does a soul good. Love to you my friend...you are on your way. It just doesn't always SEEM like it...xoxoxoxo

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home