Sunday, September 06, 2009

Wine Garden Stories

I love working the wine garden at the State Fair.
This is my friend, Theresa. She works for a local grocery chain and this particular chain runs the wine garden every year. They sign up volunteers to work. You get admission to the fair, free parking, an apron, a commemorative glass with free wine at the END of your shift. And TIPS. I've never worked in the food industry where you get tips (since McDonalds has a no tipping policy). How could I resist tips? This was the third annual trip for us.
After 3 hours of visiting with new people, pouring over 80 different wines, and running around behind a very crowded counter earning a whopping $20 in tips..... we get to spend our tip money on the evening. LOVE the wine garden!

PS--I left out the part of the evening that involved me eating an eggroll on a stick, corn with butter, 1/2 of a cinnamon roll, and -- for some totally unknown reason besides inebriation--I smoked 2 cigarettes with some person I didn't even know, but seemed to have so much in common with at the time. I don't smoke, by the way, which makes that second cigarette especially mysterious. I really do LOVE the wine garden. Perhaps a little too much?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sad we don't have one of those...I'm all about the cheese and grapes...

By the way, your Famrtown comment...made me laugh out loud - and that rarely happens. Tim laughs at the TV and I stare at him all, "it was funny...but not laugh out loud funny. Geez."

4:33 PM  
Blogger Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Sounds like fun...except the cigarette part...I got a gag reflex just reading that!! lol!

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home